Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Heaven Help Me, I Want Rain

I never thought I’d be wishing for rain, but here I am, watching my outdoor plants dry up and the fluffy white clouds float by in the bright blue sky. Rain has been forecast every day for two weeks, but the black clouds come and just as quickly go away without giving up as much as a single drop of water.

Curtis, Tammy, Cyndi, Bill
Stewart and Me
My daughter Tammy and her husband came to visit and for that week, I was pleased they had good weather. We’re constantly suggesting, rather strongly, that they move down here since our North Carolina weather is far better than Connecticut weather. But now that they’ve gone back to that place—Connecticut, the sky can open up and rain its little heart out. But no, just empty promises on the weather app on my phone day after day. I know with every fiber of my being that the minute I get out the hose and water everything, we’ll have enough rain to satisfy Noah and his ark.

I don’t want a lot of rain, just enough to water the plants; preferably at night when there’s no chance I’d be driving anywhere. Is that too much to ask?

Before July Fourth, we bought a new flag to hang from our porch and I am thrilled every time I see Old Glory wave. There’s nothing like a flag blowing in the breeze to stir feelings of pride in this country. Long may it wave!

While Tammy was here, she and Cyndi and I went to get our toenails done. Our legs and feet were massaged, hot towels draped over them, a massaging chair to sit in—a perfect two hours of being pampered and enjoying each other. My toes are the lilac ones with the yellow slippers.

This year, as last, we don’t know what crops are growing right across the street from us, but I’m sure they’re in desperate need of water just as my plants are. Rain, rain don’t go away, come for an hour or two then please go away.







Quote of the Day: Rain is good for vegetables, and for the animals who eat those vegetables, and for the animals who eat those animals.  Samuel Johnson 

No comments: