Thursday, January 4, 2018

A New year, A New Month, A New Reason to Move to Hawaii

Brrr!  It's cold! How cold is it? So cold I've given this month a new name--Jan-brr-ary. You know I moved to the South to be closer to my family, yet at the same time, to be warm since it is, after all, the South. Well, that concept got shattered this week! The first clue came when Florida had snow, then Georgia, then South Carolina, then, oh no, North Carolina. Last Saturday we had a heat wave with the temperature getting up to 51 degrees. Okay, I thought, this is good, this is what the South should be in the winter. The next day, New Year's Eve, the temperature plunged down twenty degrees, and on New Year's Day even further. By the next day, I awoke to 12 degree weather!  And I left San Diego why??

This morning I awoke to a white landscape and the lovely little pond across the street is white which tells me the pond is frozen over under the snow. As I write this, it's three o'clock in the afternoon and although the snow is mostly gone off the grass, the pond is still white.

In the evening I watch TV with my new electric fireplace next to me (Oh joy, oh joy, I love it!) and a gas space heater in the other room taking the chill off the house, and a blanket over my lap. I've not gone out of the house in three days, not even to walk across the street and get the mail. The temperature has gotten up to freezing by now, but it's windy which means I'm still not venturing out. This is not what I signed up for when we left San Diego. I left New England and moved to San Diego because I hated being cold. Now here I am, freezing my fingers off as I type.

My Christmas decorations are still up because I refuse to go outside to the shed to get the storage boxes. So Deck the Halls and O Tannenbaum and all that, because it's still Christmas here and will remain so until the weather straightens itself out and remembers this is the South.

I know a lot of you are faring worse than I am, but since it's my platform, I'll complain thank you.

However, on a happy note, my book Saving Lou is in production right now as an audio book. I'm very pleased with the narrator and his rendition of my story. I'll let you know when it's available through Amazon.


Stay warm everyone for just like our New Year's resolutions, this weather won't last forever.

By the way, Happy New Year!

Quote: If we had no winter,the spring would not be so pleasant. Anne Bradstreet

No comments: