Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Florence, Stewart, and Danny


Sorry for the delay, folks. I could blame it on Hurricane Florence and say that I’ve been so busy dealing with water and wind damage that I had no time to write a blog. However, that wouldn’t be true since I never even lost power and there was no damage whatsoever to my home and property. And I’m mighty thankful!

I could blame the delay on Stewart still being in rehab and my spending three to four days a week driving to Raleigh to visit him for these last six weeks and counting. That would be a lot closer to the truth. But even with that, I could have found time to write a blog and let you know I wasn’t floating down the Cape Fear River on my way to the Atlantic. No, I’ve just relished my days home alone in peace and quiet. Boy do I sound like my dad; all he ever asked for was ‘peace and quiet.’ Seriously, when you’re on the road every other day, staying home seems like a gift from Heaven. No place to go, no schedules to keep, nothing to do; so that’s just what I did. Nothing.

After the first couple of weeks, I actually got back to writing, working on my latest novel, Remaking Danny. Danny is always waiting for me when I get home; sometimes I spend time with him and sometimes I can’t find a creative bone in my body, so I leave him alone in Buffalo, putting out fires and waiting to find out what he’s going to do next. Ha! He thinks I’m going to tell him what to do next when actually, I have no idea; I leave it up to him to tell me what he wants to do next. I like surprises and I’m always rewarded with a surprise at the end of a chapter when I see where we just went together. Usually it’s not a place I would’ve thought of on my own.

And that, my friends, is why I don’t outline my stories. I have a vague idea of what might happen down the road, but each time I sit down to write, I haven’t a clue where the story will take me. Friends in my writing group say, “I can’t wait to see what happens next!” to which I reply, “Me either.” ALL of us have to wait until next week to see what happens.

Between my fingers on the keyboard, Danny, and Divine Inspiration, a book gets written. I pray for inspiration when I sit down and I’m seldom disappointed. The good Lord helps me write a book I’m proud of and that I hope gives life lessons to my readers. All ten of them. (My books aren’t exactly on the best selling lists!) But I have fun and that’s what counts. As I tell people, writing keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Now if I could only think of a blog subject.  😊

Quote of the Day: “The wonderful thing about writing is that there is always a blank page waiting.
The terrifying thing about writing is that there is always a blank page waiting.”
 J.K. Rowling

No comments: