Thursday, March 30, 2023

Meet an Award-Winning Author

Today I have a guest with me who is a brilliant, award-winning author and just happens to be a member of my NC Scribes writing group. I am pleased to introduce you to Nancy Wakeley. Nancy's first fiction novel, Heirloom, is the one we'll be talking about today.


Hi, Nancy.  Have a seat and tell us a little about yourself; where do you live and what do you do besides write great books?

I live in Apex, North Carolina, a little town near Raleigh, with my husband, Dan.  We have one daughter and son-in-law and two grandsons and our “extra” son, too.

I like to do volunteer work through the Peak City Exchange Club, a local civic group.   

That's so nice. How long have you been writing?              

I've been writing for over 20 years but only published my first novel, Heirloom, in 2020.  

What type of writing do you normally do?                 

Novel length fiction but I write poetry too.  

Interesting. Can you give us a brief synopsis of your book, Heirloom? 


"Heirloom (A Kate Tyler Novel") is about a young woman who is already in a life crisis when she inherits Howard's Walk in Eden Springs, North Carolina, after the sudden death of her twin sister, Rebecca.  The last thing she wants is to be tied down to an abandoned estate and its neglected once-famous gardens.  She vows to sell it as quickly as possible.  But on her first visit to Howard's Walk, Kate finds a family heirloom, an embroidered tablecloth, that Rebecca had left behind.  That connection, and the deepening sense of loss Kate is feeling, convince her to stay--at least for a little while.  Secrets begin to surface within the old house and she questions the connection she feels with a mentally challenged young man from the farm next door.  But there is someone in the town who is determined to take Howard's Walk from her and Kate must decide what Howard's Walk means to her and whether she has the strength to battle for its survival as well as her own.  

What prompted you to write the book?               

I have always wanted to write a novel,  just to see if I could do it!

Well, obviously you can write a novel and it's one that kept my interest from start to finish. Your descriptions and imagery are spot on  and leave lasting impressions. How long did it take you to write Heirloom?

I worked on it off and on for over twenty years!  But I finally finished it after I retired.  

 Do you have a favorite line from the book?             

"She opened the French doors and let in the mist so that the outside was inside, and she dreamed and listened to her heartbeat and the distant rumble of thunder and the sound of water dripping from the eaves onto the slate below.  She smelled the damp bark and the soil that was constantly grinding the leaves back into itself.  She could almost hear it."

 Is it published?                 

Yes, it was published in July 2020 by Torchflame Books in Durham NC

How can my readers get a copy?              

Both of my books, Heirloom and its sequel, The Legend, are available on Amazon, Kobo, Target, etc.  but I am happy to provide a signed copy of the book simply by contacting me at nancywakeley2@gmail.com

Do you have any advice to would-be writers?           

Just start!  Find a subject that you are passionate about and write a few chapters and see how it works for you. If you are able, attend writing workshops, online courses, etc.  There are also many books on writing in your local library.  I still keep favorite books on writing close at hand and refer to them often.  

What do you wish you knew when you started your writing career?             

I wish I had known more about the business side of publishing a book and marketing it but I am learning all the time.  

What’s next for you?             

I am writing the third book in the Kate Tyler series.  The second in the series, "The Legend", was published last April.  

Nancy, it certainly was a pleasure to sit and talk with you. I am half-way through The Legend, and loving every minute of it, especially the line, Large stone churches stood guard over the people of the town, both living and dead. Such a picture you create! 

So to my wonderful readers, I highly suggest you get Heirloom and then The Legend. Snuggle up with a blanket as you read, or go to the beach, soak in the sun, and immerse yourself in a darn good story.

Quote of the day:  I don’t read in order to study the craft; I read because I like to read. Stephen King

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linda for introducing us to Nancy I've read all your books and I passed them on to friends and I'm sure they passed him on to their friends and now I'm looking forward to reading Nancy's new book Heirloom.
AnnMarie Kaiser

Unknown said...

Hi Linda
My daughter sent to Amazon for me and got Nancy's 2 books. I loved Heirloom and I am about a third of the way through The Legend and love it so far. Thanks for recommending them. My daughter wants to read them after me.
I think I have read all your books too. Some of them I have bought.

Barbara