Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Going....Going....G

This will be the last blog post I write in California.  As of Thursday, Fred and I will be on our way to North Carolina.  

It has been an extremely busy month--deciding what to keep and what to sell, preparing for a garage sale and then holding the two-day garage sale, then cleaning up after the garage sale, and between it all, packing, packing, and more packing.  We have sold or given away everything we don't want to take, which is about half our household; yet, we still have a lot of "stuff" left.  Where it's been hiding all these years I have no idea.

We're having a pod from Pack Rats delivered tomorrow (Wednesday) and we've hired helpers to come Thursday and load it.  When it's fully loaded and locked, we'll be on our way.

One thing I've learned, moving is not for the elderly.  We work half an hour and rest half an hour.  I look forward to the day I can stand up straight again without my lower back crying out in pain.  My arms and legs look like Fred got upset and punched me, but it's just from carrying what seems like hundreds of boxes.  

We're tired, exhausted actually.  And our tempers are short.  It's been hot and humid for over a week which hasn't helped our dispositions.  I haven't been able to sit down and write for I don't know how long and I really, really want to.

Two things keep us going.  The first is knowing that when we get in our vehicle Thursday afternoon, all the packing, all the lugging, all the reaching and bending, will be behind us.  We can finally sit for 2500 miles and enjoy the scenery with absolutely nothing to do.  The second thing is knowing that at the end of our journey there will be rocking chairs on a front porch waiting for us.  I long for those rocking chairs.  They are on the porch of the house my daughter and son-in-law are buying and have graciously allowed us to stay in while we look for a place of our own, somewhere in North Carolina.  

When we have an address and an email address, I'll let y'all know where we are.

In the meantime, we've both been treated to farewell events by so many wonderful friends here. It's going to be hard to leave people that have meant so much to us over the years.  Fred was born here and I've been in California for thirty years.  You make a lot of friends in that time. Heck, I had to say goodbye to my hairdresser today; she's been doing my hair for over twenty-five years.  For some silly reason, she refuses to move to N.C. with us.  

I'll see you on the other side, dear friends; on the other side of the country, that is.

Today's Quote:  To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. Reba McEntire

No comments: